Massachusetts Family Law Attorneys
Experienced Lawyers for Families Throughout the South Boston Area
Lynch & Owens features the South Shore’s premier family law attorneys dedicated to providing Massachusetts residents with the best legal representation in actions for divorce, paternity, child custody, child support, alimony, property division, modification and contempt actions, prenuptial agreements, and representation in 209A restraining order cases. If you need assistance with starting the divorce process or family law process in any of the fields above, call us!
High-Quality Legal Assistance in the Following Family Law & Divorce Matters
- High net worth divorce experience.
- Asset valuation and division for complex and high-value assets including private equity holdings, closely held businesses, real estate, and compensation assets.
- Expert witness experience to discover hidden assets and value financial holdings for litigation and to conceptualize divorce and separation agreements.
- Calculating alimony and child support for high-income earners including business owners, real estate developers and corporate executives.
- Hidden assets tracking and income discovery through a forensic approach.
- Divorce and separation agreement preparation to maximize after-tax cash flow and cooperative asset division.
- Negotiating and settling complex divorce cases in a cost-effective matter.
Financial Issues: Post-Divorce & Unmarried Parents
- Establishing child support in cases involving unmarried parents.
- Contempt representation in actions to enforce existing orders and judgments.
- Modification pursuing or defending against modification of support.
Child Custody & Parenting Time
- Parenting Plan development and conceptualization in Child Custody cases.
- Litigation of child custody matters including legal and physical custody, primary custody versus shared physical custody, abuse and neglect, parental alienation, parental fitness and substance abuse, and removal cases.
- Modification of existing custody orders, judgments, and Parenting Plans.
- Contempt representation in actions to enforce custody orders and judgments.
Prenuptial & Separation Agreements
- Prenuptial Agreement development and conceptualization.
- Litigating Prenuptial Agreements to determine enforce-ability and terms.
- Postnuptial Agreement conceptualization and preparation.
How Long Do I Need to Reside in Massachusetts to File for Divorce?
The short and straight-forward answer is that you must reside in Massachusetts for one year, and your child must reside in-state for at least six months, before you can file for divorce in Massachusetts. While there are exceptions to these rules, these exceptions often include complex legal concepts that lay persons generally struggle to understand and follow — and any drafting or procedural mistake you make (based on advice you received over the internet) can have an incurable negative impact on your case moving forward. You need to sit down with an experienced Massachusetts family law attorney if you would like to file for divorce less than one year after moving to this state.
Why Should I Hire a Lawyer for My Divorce in Massachusetts?
From James' interview for the Masters of Family Law series on ReelLawyers.com.
There is no law that requires you to hire a lawyer when filing for divorce. However, it is highly recommended to have a consultation with one so that you can identify the issues revolving around your case.
Here are a few additional reasons as to why you should retain legal defense:
- Cases involving children or large assets can become complicated
- Each state differs with the law and only an experienced attorney can help guide you through the legal verbiage
- An attorney can take the load of paperwork and documents off your plate
- If your spouse hires a lawyer, you should too
- A lawyer will help you identify which issues of the divorce are worth pursuing
At Lynch & Owens, P.C. our intentions are to save you both time and headache. Divorce can be overwhelming, and we are here to help. Our Massachusetts family law attorneys will help provide you with a strategy that focuses on your best interests in both the short and long-term.
Divorce & Family Law Resources
Have questions about Massachusetts family law? Do you need legal insight on the divorce process?
Visit our Massachusetts divorce and family law resource pages:
- Lynch & Owens Divorce & Family Law Blog
- The Lynch & Owens Divorce Series
- Frequently Asked Questions: Divorce in Massachusetts
- Official Forms: Massachusetts Divorce and Family Law
Top-Rated Lawyers: Google Reviews
We pride ourselves on quality customer service. Check out our top-rated Google reviews to see how our clients feel about our work!
Get a One-Hour Consultation with a Massachusetts Family Lawyer
If you face a family law issue and are seeking legal representation, please call us at (781) 253-2049. One of our Massachusetts family lawyers will consult with you and evaluate your potential case after you call to schedule an appointment. We proudly help men and women navigate through legal issue with care, diligence, and strong, cost-effective client service.
Contact our Massachusetts family law attorneys online or call our firm at (781) 253-2049to begin discussing your family law case.
"The communication from Lynch & Owen's was top notch."
The communication from Lynch & Owen's was top notch.- Johhny B.
"She was prompt with responses, experienced with future issues that were avoided because of her expertise. I feel more confident knowing I have her on my side."
Nicole was exactly what I needed during my divorce. She was prompt with responses, experienced with future issues that were ...- Megan C.
"Her knowledge and experience, coupled with her no-nonsense approach to client protection and upholding the law, made a stressful and trying situation much easier to understand and navigate through."
I highly recommend Attorney Nicole Levy with Lynch and Owens. Her knowledge and experience, coupled with her no-nonsense ...- Susan D.
"Amazing professional and to the point. She's also a wonderful person and easy to talk to"
Amazing professional and to the point. She's also a wonderful person and easy to talk to- John