Lynch & Owens is hiring! We are seeking family law attorneys with experience ranging from 1 year to 20+ years, with compensation commensurate with experience. To apply and learn more about our openings, please send a resume and cover letter through the portal on our Careers page. We maintain the confidentiality of all applicants.
Skip to Content
Modification and Contempt

Massachusetts Modification Lawyers and Contempt Attorneys

Representing Clients Seeking to Enforce or Modify Probate & Family Court Orders

From Jason's interview for the Masters of Family Law series on

For more than 25 years, the attorneys of Lynch & Owens have represented Massachusetts client seeking to enforce orders pertaining to a divorce judgment, child support, alimony, or child custody through a Complaint for Contempt. Our attorneys also have more than 120 years of combined experience representing clients seeking to modify divorce and domestic support orders in Massachusetts. Finally, our attorneys have decades of experience defending clients who are facing actions for contempt and/or modification brought by an opposing party.

Complaints for Contempt: Enforcement of Divorce, Custody and Support Orders

As set forth on the Lynch & Owens blog, our attorneys are among the leading authorities on the law of contempt in Massachusetts.

Parents and former spouses in Massachusetts can file a Complaint for Contempt to seek enforcement of any order or judgment entered in a domestic relations case, including:

  • Temporary orders and stipulations
  • Orders set forth in a separation agreement
  • Or judgment orders entered by a judgment after trial.

The plaintiff in a contempt action must prove by clear and convincing evidence that the opposing party disobeyed a clear and unambiguous order. Judgments of contempt (i.e. when a judge finds that a party violated an order) are reversed more frequently than other Probate & Family Court orders because of the clear and convincing evidence standard, a numerous nuances in the law surrounding contempt actions.

Divorced spouses may file a Complaint for Contempt if their former spouse is failing to comply with the property division provisions set forth in a Separation Agreement, such as an obligation to transfer property. When a party is found in contempt for failing to obey a financial order, including child support or alimony, Massachusetts law provides a presumptive requirement that the defendant pay the reasonable legal fees of the plaintiff (although judges have several methods to avoid ordering the payment of legal fees).

Contempt actions for violations of child custody, visitation and parenting orders do not include a presumptive requirement for the defendant to pay the plaintiff’s legal fees, but Massachusetts judges have broad discretion to order defendants to the plaintiff’s legal fees as the judge sees fit. Moreover, a finding of contempt against a parent for violations of custody orders can result in significant (negative) changes in the parental rights of the parent found in contempt.

Parties who are defending themselves in a contempt action should take the Complaint for Contempt extremely seriously. In addition to ordering financial penalties, Massachusetts judges have the power to modify court orders to remedy or punish one party’s non-compliance and/or to prevent future non-compliance.

From James' interview for the Masters of Family Law series on

Complaints for Modification: When Circumstances Change in Custody, Child Support and Alimony Cases

On the Lynch & Owens blog, our attorneys have taken dozens of deep dives into the complex law surrounding the modification of domestic relations orders in Massachusetts, including child custody (including relocation/removal of children out of state), alimony and child support.

Massachusetts Probate & Family Court judges have the authority to modify judgment orders pertaining to the following issues:

  • Child custody and parenting time
  • Child support and college expenses
  • Merging alimony orders (Alimony orders that “survive” are generally not modifiable, except in very unusual circumstances)

Modification actions vary in complexity based on the subject matter at hand. When parents earn W2 income, modifying a child support order based an increase/decrease in one parent’s earnings can be relatively straight-forward. However, modifying alimony and child support orders becomes significantly more complex if a parent is self-employed or receives complex forms of compensation, such as RSUs or stock options.

Modification of child custody orders often require the appointment of a Guardian ad Litem (GAL) to interview the parents and children. Modifications pertaining to alimony are impacted by the complexities of the Massachusetts Alimony Statute.

In general, the party seeking to modify a judgment must demonstrate a substantial change in circumstances to justify the modification. However, parties can modify child support by simply showing that the current child support is not consistent with the Child Support Guidelines based on the parties’ gross incomes and certain expenses.

Special challenges exist for modifications in which a parent seeks:

Parties that are seeking a modification – or have been served with an opposing party’s Complaint for Modification – frequently require legal representation. For more than 25 years, the attorneys of Lynch & Owens have been representing clients in modification cases throughout Massachusetts. Together, our attorneys have more than 120 years of combined experience litigating, settling and mediating modification cases.

Mediating Modification and Contempt Cases

Litigation may not be the best solution for your modification or contempt cases. Mediation provides a less expensive, amicable and creative alternative for parents and former spouses seeking to resolve their legal concerns outside of court. Through South Shore Divorce Mediation, Lynch & Owens provides Massachusetts clients with mediation services to resolve modification and contempt issues without the costs and stress of litigation.

Call (781) 253-2049 to Consult with an Attorney or Schedule a Mediation

We will help you navigate your legal issue with care, diligence and strong, cost-effective client service. A Massachusetts attorney from our office will evaluate your claim during a one-hour consultation.

If you need legal representation in a modification or contempt case or are seeking a mediatorto resolve your legal issues outside of court, please do not hesitate to call us at (781) 253-2049or contact us online.

Lynch & Owens, P.C.'s Videos

Popular Videos

Check out some of our most recent videos.

Dedicated to Client Satisfaction

  • "The communication from Lynch & Owen's was top notch."

    The communication from Lynch & Owen's was top notch.

    - Johhny B.
  • "She was prompt with responses, experienced with future issues that were avoided because of her expertise. I feel more confident knowing I have her on my side."

    Nicole was exactly what I needed during my divorce. She was prompt with responses, experienced with future issues that were ...

    - Megan C.
  • "Her knowledge and experience, coupled with her no-nonsense approach to client protection and upholding the law, made a stressful and trying situation much easier to understand and navigate through."

    I highly recommend Attorney Nicole Levy with Lynch and Owens. Her knowledge and experience, coupled with her no-nonsense ...

    - Susan D.
  • "Amazing professional and to the point. She's also a wonderful person and easy to talk to"

    Amazing professional and to the point. She's also a wonderful person and easy to talk to

    - John

Don't Fear The Unknown

Protect Your Family, Finances & Future
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • If you send email through this service, your email will not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information you include in your email will not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. You should not send sensitive or confidential information through this email service. The firm may choose not to accept you as a client. Moreover, the Internet is not necessarily a secure environment, and it is possible that your email might be intercepted and read by third parties.
    Please make a selection.

Why Choose Lynch & Owens?

  • We have helped clients since 1995. Our attorneys have more than 120 years of combined experience. Don't settle for less than Lynch & Owens.

  • We have the personnel, resources and experience to compete with Boston’s top family law firms, while delivering the local knowledge and client service of a leading regional firm.

  • We are a full-service family law firm with expertise in child custody and parenting time, child support and alimony, high net worth divorce, appeals, modifications and contempt actions.

  • Our attorneys are experienced with every level of litigation: from out-of-court mediation to trial advocacy to appeals. Whatever you need, we deliver.